— Councillor questions arrogance of business groups implying 500 cars are more important than 7,000 people in busses as newspaper labels traffic plan “arrogant”.
Dublin City Council rowed back first on a full car ban on Bachelor’s Walk and later on a full car ban on Eden Quay because of lobbying mainly from businesses, but one group is still claiming there was a lack of consultation.
The watered-down proposals in effect since yesterday allow cars on both Bachelor’s Walk and Eden Quay in single traffic lanes, down from two lanes before the changes.
The measures aim to give priority to buses which already carry over 7,000 per hour at peak, as well as giving priority to trams crossing the quays around O’Connell Bridge which will have a likely have a higher capacity. This is compared to just around 600 people in about 500 cars.
But despite the watering down of the priority for public transport users, the Restaurants Association of Ireland CEO Adrian Cummins told the Irish Independent that: “Businesses are outraged with the arrogance of Dublin City Council, who are rolling out these new projects without consulting them.”
You have read this far, now please think of supporting this reader-funded journalism. The current target is to reach 20 more subscribers by the end of August: Thanks to readers like you, as of August 2, there's now 265 readers subscribed to IrishCycle.com -- that's just five short of the target. Help us surpass the target by subscribing today.
The consultation for the project gained high-profile media coverage and major u-turns were made to provide greater motorised access to/from car parks and other businesses.
The city council has outlined how the project is to allow for more people to be carried in the limited space city centre while still allowing access to car parks, but Cummins added: “This is a total anti-business project in my opinion.”
In echos of past claims that pedestrianisation and bus priority measures would kill businesses, the Independent also reports that the Dublin Chamber of Commerce has “hit out at a new traffic plan for the city centre” saying it would have a “devastating effect” on businesses. This is a move away from the Dublin Chamber’s main line that there is just a lack of clarity around the changes.
Reacting to the Irish Independent article, which has the headline “Chaos hits capital as ‘arrogant’ new traffic plans begin”, Cllr Patrick Costello (Greens) said on Twitter: “What’s arrogant is saying 500 mostly single occupancy cars have more right to the road than 7000 people in busses.”
Bus users this morning are reporting that buses are free from the normal congestion along the central section of the quays.
One bus user, Eddie Duffy, said on Twitter: “New layout on the quays just improved my commute time by 15mins @dublinbusnews @Dublinbususers @rtenews @DubCityCouncil #dublintraffic 👏👍🚌.”
Another, Dermot O’Mahony, said: “Kudos to @DubCityCouncil on improving North Quays/O’Connell Bridge bus bottleneck, much smoother and faster bus ride on 145 this morning…”
Last week the testing of Luas trams on the new green line extension, which runs from St Stephen’s Green to the north side city centre retail areas and on to Broombridge, started to become more active. Tram services will be open to the public in December.
IMAGE: By Ciaran Cuffe, via Twitter.
Hello Reader... IrishCycle.com is a reader-funded journalism publication. Effectively it's an online newspaper covering news and analyses of cycling and related issues, including cycle route designs, legal changes, and pollical and cultural issues.
There are examples, big and small, which show that the reader-funded or listener-funding model can work to support journalism -- from the Dublin Inquirer and The Guardian to many podcasts. To make it work for IrishCycle.com, it just needs enough people like you to believe!
Monthly subscriptions will give IrishCycle.com's journalism a dependable base of support. But please don't take free access for granted. Last year IrishCycle.com had an average of 15,800 readers per month and we know our readers include people who cycle and those who don't, politicians, officials and campaigners.
I know only a small percentage of readers will see the value of keeping this open enough to subscribe, that's the reality of the reader-funded model. But more support is needed to keep this show on the road.
The funding drive was started in November 2021 and, as of the start of June 2022, 250 readers have kindly become monthly subscribers -- thank you very much to all that have!
But currently, it's only around 1.6% of readers who subscribe. So, if you can, please join them and subscribe today via ko-fi.com/irishcycle/tiers