Dublin’s Capel St and Parliament St are to be made ‘traffic-free’ for the evening and night of six weekends from June 11 on a trial basis, Dublin City council has said. But questions have been asked as to why the trial isn’t for the full weekend as happened with the southside trials last year.
The streets are to be traffic free from 6.30pm to 11.30pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the six weeks.
“This is another project by Dublin City Council’s Office of City Recovery to support business in the City and facilitate outdoor dining. Once the trial is complete Dublin City Council will assess the outcome,” Dublin City Council said in a statement today.
The council said: “This is in addition to the increased pedestrian space already created by build-outs on Capel St. and the closure of Capel St. between Parnell St. and Ryders Row, which will be closed to all vehicular traffic 24/7 from 7am next Friday the 11th of June.”
The council added: “ Local bus diversions will be in place for buses that usually serve Parliament St. There will be no disruption to LUAS services and access for local residents will be maintained.”
The Dublin Commuter Coalition said: “Good: Parliament Street and many side streets will join the Capel Street pedestrianisation trial. Bad: They will only be pedestrianised on weekend evenings which excludes a lot of families from enjoying it.”
The group added: “They should do the whole weekend like the Southside pedestrianisation trials last year.”
The council said that “the traffic-free trial will also effectively make the following streets traffic-free” while the weekend evening trial is in operation:
- Parnell St. from Ryders Row to Capel St.
- Little Britain St. from Campbell’s Court to Capel St.
- Mary St. from Jervis Lane Upper to Capel St.
- Mary St. Little from Anglesea Row to Capel St.
- Mary’s Abbey from Aran St. to Capel St.
- Abbey St. from Jervis Lane Upper to Capel St.
- Strand St. Little from Aran St. to Capel St.
- Strand St. from Jervis St. to Capel St.
- Essex Gate from Exchange St. to Parliament St.
- Essex St. East from Sycamore St. to Parliament St.